Red Star is registered as an Unincorporated Association, operating as a non-profit sporting organisation. Red Star is run by a committee of volunteers who over see the day to day running of the club.
- Chairperson & Director of Coaching – Jon Mackey
Secretary – Lauren Bradshaw
Finance Officer – Dave McDonald
Membership Officers – Anna Kukula/Debbie Flannery
Childrens Officer & Coach – Lauren Bradshaw
Parent Liaison Officer – Bernard McDonnell
Junior Athlete Committee
- Leah Harris
- Dayna Walsh
- Eliza Bluma
- Sean Tjong
- Robyn McDonnell
The origins of Red Star Sport Martial Arts were established in a school hall in Cabra, in 2004. From a local part time club, Red Star has evolved into a professional full time training club with a host of internationally recognised fighters.
Now based on Nore Road in Glasnevin, close to Woodies DIY, Red Star continues to be one of the most well known martial arts clubs in the country.
Red Star is known for it’s warm and inclusive atmosphere. We are a child friendly club, 80% of our membership are under 18. Our focus is on developing strong and confident sport martial artists, promoting fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
We have a number of classes designed specially for each developing stage of a child’s growth.
- Starting at 4 years of age we have the Little Kickers Programme, this is a class based on learning through play. Introducing core skills training such as balance, coordination and motor function.
- Little Kickboxers is our next stage of development classes. This is for ages 7 through to 10 years. This class introduces the children to the sport of Kickboxing in a fun and safe environment. There is light contact controlled sparring.
- Our Cadets programme is for the developing child at an age of 10 until 12 years.
- Junior Squad is for the teens, from 13 years to 17 years and is focused on the competitive elements of Kickboxing.
- Our adult training programmes are all designed towards promoting activity, participation and fitness. We want to get you off the couch for an hour to come and train with us. Look after your cardio vascular fitness and your heart health with an hour of Kickboxing training. No sparring and no pressure, just good hearty training!
All our coaches are certified by the Irish Martial Arts Commission which is the government recognised national governing body for Martial Arts in Ireland. All our coaches have valid first aid certificates. All our coaches are Garda Vetted and all have acquired Safeguarding 1 and Safeguarding 2 courses. Red Star is a proud member of Kickboxing Ireland.
Our children’s officer is Lauren Bradshaw. Lauren joined Red Star back when she was only 7 years old. Now at 21 years, she boasts Two World Championship titles under WAKO as well as three European Kickboxing titles, numerous national titles and three Irish Open titles. Lauren teaches our younger classes and has proved to be a great role model for the children. Lauren’s journey through the martial arts is testament to the work we do at Red Star, providing a pathway for young athletes right to the top of the most prestigious rankings of our sport.
Red Star’s head coach is Jon Mackey. Jon teaches the Junior Squad teens and adults at the club. He is currently on the Kickboxing Ireland executive board and is the Light Contact national coach for Kickboxing Ireland. Jon has been teaching and coaching since 2004 and started his training in Taekwon-Do in 1987 when he was 9 years old. Jon is currently employed by Canoeing Ireland as their training and developement officer. Canoeing Ireland is the national governing body for Paddlesports in Ireland.
If you have any further questions, please do get in touch. We’d be happy to welcome you at our club anytime.